iRide.2020.01.20 Woodyride


The director, writer, actor, and comedian Woody Allen once quipped that "…eighty percent of success is showing up", which is what I did today. I have worked with crews for whom such a metric would mark me as a rampant over-achiever. Woody does not joke only about life, he is eminently quotable about death, too: "My relationship with death remains the same. I'm strongly against it." So am I and like Woody, "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

I made my minimum contribution and felt somewhat better after freewheeling back down from Sand Hollow Top in the cold air. At a random rural divergence, I took the one less traveled by and soon found myself at the end of the road. Fortunately, this was only literally. Metaphorically, today was not to be the day. Low-thermogenesis winter riding is cool. I like it in moderation. You may quote me if you wish.


View a STRAVA entry for this post (login required); click below for limited access:

Comments