iWalk.2020.01.13 Pavementpounding


Alfred Wainwright devised one of the most-loved pedestrian paths in England, which he called the Coast to Coast Walk (often shortened to C2C, which is where it runs). It was named as the second-best walk in the world according to a survey of experts in 2004.

The most feared part of it is not the high mountains of the west; not even the boggy moors of the backbone of the country strike fear into the hearts of walkers; not even the rough ground of the North York Moors gives them pause: the flat pavement-pounding in the agricultural lowlands of the Vale of Mowbray is the feared section even though it is quite short. I reflected on this as I walked on concrete sidewalks this morning. My longer walk yesterday on gravel and grass was much kinder to my old bones.

The mystery found-object was lying in the middle of one of those sidewalks. I have no idea what it is, let alone its purpose. The name of Robert's Roost caused an embarrassing faux pas for me when I first moved here: I misheard and referred to it as Robbers Roost. That garnered a side-eyes from one of the residents.

I have become convinced that the two red chairs have been set there by a couple who want to view the end time in comfort. I wonder if a date has been set for that or if they are trying to immanentize the eschaton ahead of the rapture event. I couldn't make this stuff up and keep a straight face at the same time.


There is a STRAVA entry for this post (login required).

Comments