iRide.2020.04.25 Doomed


The first two unprepossessing headline photos for today were taken where the contractors will soon be carving out an extension to SR-7 to provide a more direct connection with SR-9 on the western outskirts of Hurricane, Utah. This is the last weekend before the contractors close W3000S through to the junction with Sand Hollow Road and the Southern Parkway—for a whole year! This is clearly going to require me to find a new bicycling route.

I was in somber mood. After passing the roses, I was singing, "No, I won't forget to put roses on your grave" (~ Rolling Stones 1971 'Dead Flowers') as a tribute to the doomed road. If  a dead skunk merits a memorial then why not a road? I walked some way into the desert at the place where the new road construction will go through and I was delighted to find flowers and blooming cacti. It was a little sad to remember that their days are numbered.

View a STRAVA entry for this post (free login required); click below for limited access:

Comments