The more you look, the more you will see



Thursday ride: I have passed that fierce face many times without noticing it. A sign on the gate says, Visitors welcome. Relatives by appointment. I supposed the totem was there to reinforce the point. I tried to locate information that might identify a particular culture from whence that style of totem was derived, but was unable to find anything specific.

The hawk that lives around the particular utility pole shown in the thumbnail strips (presuming it is the same bird, which may not be a valid presumption given that I have no idea of their range) is quite edgy and nervous. If I turn off my flashing riding light then the bird is less likely to make a rapid departure as I stop and take out my camera.

I saw two new garden artefacts today, although a photograph of one of them will have to wait until the sun is further to the west as I pass. I made a later pass around the site where the stone tortoise lives and the lighting had improved from the time of my first pass.

The cobble columns were familiar, but I have been waiting to photograph them without vehicles in the background, so consider this an interim attempt. I struggled to remember the correct name given to this type of construction. For a second time my search was not very fruitful: to get good results from Google searches you need to know the proper terms for your subject. The most common expression for this type of art is rock stacking (or the more esoteric rock balancing subset) and sometimes the artefacts are known as zen stones. I am always leery of the use of the word zen in the West, so I prefer the more prosaic rock stacks/stacking usage.

It seems that rock stacking is not just an art, discipline, or hobby, but also a competitive endeavor with an annual European Championship that is held in Scotland. The host website is StoneStacking.co.uk, where there is more information; the video by Glenda Rome on that linked page is available directly from the Vimeo website.

Click/tap any photo for gallery view

Comments